BBC News: “Derriford Hospital sorry over penicillin error”
BBC News is reporting that “Derriford Hospital sorry over penicillin error” and that the “hospital has admitted making a ‘serious error’ after a patient who was given penicillin despite being allergic to it died. John Dudding, 80, died in Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, three days after being given the drug in February 2012.”
The BBC reports that Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust said: “We let Mr Dudding down in terms of the care we provided because there was a serious drug error and we apologise sincerely for this. We don’t know how or if this drug error contributed to Mr Dudding’s death. That is for the inquest to determine. We will, of course, co-operate fully with the coroner and Mr Dudding’s family.”
Enigma Solicitors is representing Mr Dudding’s family in the clinical negligence case and the inquest.